Big Baste Round Steak
Lots of folks ask us how best to grill round steak. We like ours steeped and finished with a flavourful BIG Baste.
- 1 cup chives
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Beef Inside or Outside Round Marinating Steak, 1-1/2 inches (4 cm) thick
Directions for Round Steak
- Combine steak sauce, garlic, mustard and onions in large sealable freezer bag. Remove 1/4 cup (50 mL) EACH for basting and dipping.
- Pierce steak all over; add to bag and refrigerate for 8 or up to 12 hours. Discard marinade. Pat steak dry with paper towel; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill over medium-high heat, brushing with reserved basting sauce, for 14 to 16 minutes, turning at least twice, for medium-rare doneness 145°F(63°C).
- Transfer to cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let stand for 5 minutes before carving on an angle into thin slices. Serve with reserved dipping sauce.
Round Steak Sauce Options:
- Chipotle Big Baste: Add 1/3 cup (75 mL) salsa and 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
- Coulis-Style Big Baste: Add 1/4 cup (50 mL) of your favourite fruit jam and 2 tbsp (30 mL) fruit juice, such as apple or orange.
- Honey Ginger Big Baste: Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) liquid honey and 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh ginger.