Jamaican Jump Up Marinated Beef Steak
This easy rub gives steak a taste of the tropics. Explore some of the flavors of the world’s cuisines right in your own back yard with the Jamaican Jump Up.
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp minced ginger root
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 lb grilling or marinating steak
- Combine steak sauce, coffee, vinegar, rum, oil, ginger root, thyme, garlic, allspice, salt and pepper in a zipper-type plastic bag.
- Pierce meat all over with fork. Place in bag with marinade; refrigerate for 30 minutes (for Grilling Steaks) or from 4 to 8 hours (for Marinating Steaks).
- Pat steak dry. Grill, broil or pan-fry using medium-high heat, turning at least twice, for 10 to 12 minutes for medium-rare doneness 145˚F (63˚C)
Steak Sauce Options:
- Teriyaki Temptation: Combine 1/4 cup (50 mL) EACH Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce, 1 tbsp (15 mL) EACH rice vinegar and vegetable oil, 1 tsp (5 mL) EACH liquid honey, sesame oil and garlic powder, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger and 1 green onion, sliced.
- Britain’s Best: Combine 1/4 cup (50 mL) Worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil, 1 tbsp (15 mL) EACH chopped fresh chives or parsley, prepared horseradish and grainy mustard, 2 cloves garlic, minced and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper.