Spice-Rubbed Steak and Mediterranean Pasta Salad
Quick and easy spice-rubbed steak salad dinner idea, that you can dress up for the weekend or dress down during the week!
- 1 tbsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 tbsp minced fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 lb beef trip loin or top sirloin grilling steak, 1 inch thick, cubed
- 3 cups large pasta shapes (penne or rigatoni)
- 2 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 sweet yellow pepper, seeded and cut into chunk
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed and blanched
- 1 cup yellow beans, trimmed and blanched
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and blanched
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- lemon wedges
Directions for Round Steak
- Combine hot sauce, half the thyme the garlic and chili powder in medium bowl to make smooth paste. Add beef cubes and stir to coat. Thread cubes onto 10 soaked wooden skewers; cover and refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Salad: Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and transfer to large bowl. Meanwhile, toss together tomatoes, red and yellow peppers, garlic and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil on parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Broil or grill in grilling basket, turning occasionally, until tender-crisp, about 15 minutes. Set aside
- Grill beef skewers, over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes per side.
- Add blanched snow peas and green and yellow beans to pasta. Add green onions, feta cheese, and remaining thyme and oil; toss together. Season to taste with a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with beef skewers or remove beef from skewers and toss with pasta salad.
For a more straightforward presentation, use the spice-rubbed steak whole, grilling for 12-14 minutes, turning at least twice, for medium-rare doneness 145°F(63°C). Let rest for 5 minutes, carve into thin slices and toss with salad ingredients; serve on salad plates.